· Your cheese vault comes in a corrugated paperboard box that is handsome and ready to gift. You can use it to store your cheese grotto when you’re not using it, or recycle it!
· Your cheese vault ships in curbside recyclable cardboard, and delicate pieces are wrapped in a recycled bubble wrap that can also be recycled in most blue bins.
· The vault is built to be an heirloom piece that can last a lifetime. If you really are ready to part with it, we’ll help you find a recycling center that will recycle the birch and the plexiglass. The clay components are biodegradable. Need help? Shoot us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Orders will ship 3-5 business days after you place your order.
· This cheese vault can house 1lb of cheese of various shapes and sizes and ilks. It measures 6.5”D x 6”W x 6”L, with a breathable back panel. The grotto itself weighs 2lbs, and comes with a serving shelf, plus a small clay brick for humidity control.
· Hand wash with warm water, and use a white vinegar if you’d like a deep clean.
· Depending on your comfort level (and how you like your cheese!) the vault can be used inside or outside the refrigerator. For the long term, we recommend the fridge, but in the short term, you can always do as the French do and store your cheese on the countertop, so long as the ambient temperature is below 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
· Birch has traditionally been used to store cheese for centuries: whether its bark has been used to ripen and imbue soft cheese with a woodsy flavor, or its been shaped into barrels to age Greek Feta. It’s got a tight surface that is slow to absorb or release moisture, which makes it great at keeping your cheese good for longer. The birch in these specific cheese grottos has been finished to be mold-- and stain!-- resistant.
· Bamboo has some tricks up its sleeve too-- you already know we love this material because it's regenerative, but did you also know that it’s super durable? In fact, it’s three times stronger than oak, which means it definitely is up for the assignment when it comes to keeping your cheese safe. Cheese Grotto’s bamboo is sourced from a supplier in California with a transparent and sustainable supply chain.