We’ve got some strong feelings about Giving Tuesday-- mainly, it feels icky that brands and retailers basically use non-profits and charitable orgs to steal some of their halo “do-good” effect to get you to buy more stuff, and to extend the big revenue high post Cyber Monday.
That’s why we thought Goldune should go dark today.
Well, not *dark* dark-- we couldn’t really shut off our website if we wanted to. It’s still up there if you need to re-up on toothpaste or toilet paper.
But here’s why:
Roping a climate justice org into our marketing efforts to entice you to spend more money with us leaves a bad taste in our mouth-- and maybe yours too!
We’re a small business, and after our cost of goods, what we’d be able to contribute to an organization for Giving Tuesday wouldn’t move the needle the way, say, donating directly to that organization would.
If you want to shop today, by all means, shop! But Goldune won’t be trying to line our pockets by framing your shopping as an act of charitable giving, and you don’t have to buy stuff to support a cause that you believe in.
If you have the means, we strongly, strongly recommend donating to an organization directly. Here are a few of the ones that we’re excited about, in case you need any ideas:
- WeAct: WE ACT’s mission is to build healthy communities by ensuring that people of color and/or low income residents participate meaningfully in the creation of sound and fair environmental health and protection policies and practices.
- Soul Fire Farm: an Afro-Indigenous centered community farm committed to uprooting racism and seeding sovereignty in the food system.
- White Buffalo Land Trust: is committed to land stewardship and the redesign of our food system to directly address the climate, biodiversity, public health, and food security challenges that we face today. They engage in direct land stewardship, education and training programs, ongoing field research, and exemplary product development.
- Sane Energy Project: is committed to replacing fracked gas infrastructure with community-led, sustainable energy.
- Nuestra Tierra Conservation Project: is on a people focused mission to ensure that marginalized communities have access to the outdoors — and that their history, values, and people are authentically reflected in public lands management.
- Surfrider Foundation: is dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of the world’s ocean, waves and beaches, for all people, through a powerful activist network.
- Indigenous Environmental Network: is a grassroots network that supports Indigenous communities and tribal governments developing mechanisms to protect their sacred sites, land, water, air, natural resources, health of both our people and all living things, and to build economically sustainable communities.
- Climate Emergency Fund: is turbo-charging the climate movement by supporting its most brave and adamant activists through funding ultra-ambitious organizations and activists who are confronting the climate crisis.
I hope you’re enjoying the last of November and you find some time to enjoy the cozy season with the people you love.
Sending you all the good vibes,